Pedals - Begin your Road Safety education!
The Surrey County Council Bikeability Team will be visiting Lime Tree Primary School on Monday 24th & Tuesday 25th April 2017 to offer scooter and road safety training to Year 1 & Year 2 pupils. This is an excellent opportunity for pupils to begin their road safety education, and sows the seeds for a safe future. The aim of the course is to teach road safety awareness and to be able to share an environment with other pedestrians; and ensure pupils understand the principles of road safety.
The aim of the course is to:
- Learn how to start, travel along and stop.
- Explain how wearing a tabard and helmet can improve safety.
- Stop, look and listen before crossing the road in a simulated traffic environment in the playground.
The course is aimed at pupils who have a bicycle, which they must be able to ride, with or without stabilizers; a tricycle or a scooter. Pupils, who do not have one of the above, are most welcome to attend the course on foot.
The course happens during the school day and the instructor will talk to the pupils about safety equipment, the importance of bright clothing and the benefits of wearing a helmet. The pupils will discuss and practice the following practical skills:
- Stopping – for a signal, as an instruction, to decide for yourself.
- Crossing the road – with an adult. How to cross the road safely including the dangers of playing near a road.
- Understand the difference between pavement and road and using shared space with pedestrians – cycling, scooting and walking.
- Looking - Starting a journey safely by looking behind, and stopping safely.
- Understanding traffic lights - what the colours mean and how to use them safely.
Fun activities such as obstacle courses and games are used to reinforce what the instructors have talked about during the 1 hour session. The cost per pupil is £3. Please pay for this using your Parent Pay Account. If you have difficulty in making this payment please speak to a member of the office team in confidence or contact Mrs Horton at email@example.com
If you would like your child to take part, please click here for the reply slip and return it to the school office by Thursday 30th March 2017 with the £3 payment made via Parent Pay. For those entitled to Pupil Premium, please contact the school office.